Auditions Dance BA/BFA
All prospective Dance Majors must audition for acceptance into the program. Students must audition on one of the dates below only. There are no individual auditions available.
UPCOMING AUDITION DATES • for students entering UB in fall 2018
@ University at Buffalo, Center for the Arts
October 20, 2017 – 9 am
December 1, 2017 – 9 am
February 9, 2018 – 9 am
DANCEWAVE and DMA applicants, please use DMA/DANCEWAVE option from Date Drop Box on the Audition Form.
@ New York City
January 27, 2018 – 9:30 AM
500 Eighth Avenue (between 35th and 36th)
New York, NY 10018
**Please note applicants and guardians may need PHOTO ID to enter the Pearl Studios building.
REGISTER NOW • DANCE AUDITIONS
To register for an audition, you must fill out an Audition Form for Dance and submit your $30 application fee via the Pay Now link. After you submit the on-line form and make the on-line payment, you will be mailed a confirmation of your audition date.
- Be prepared to perform in a class-style audition including ballet, modern and jazz. Tap placement is determined by years of experience.
- No solo piece is required.
- Be prepared with proper dance attire:
- Ladies – solid colored leotard and tights; ballet slippers, jazz shoe
- Gentlemen – Black tights, or jazz pants, ballet slippers, jazz shoes
- Convertible tights suggested for easy transition from ballet to modern
- Fill out a Performing Arts Profile; see details below.
- Cost of the Audition Workshop is $30.00. There is a PAY NOW option on the audition form.
PERFORMING ARTS PROFILE
Prospective dance students must bring a PERFORMING ARTS PROFILE with them to the audition. You will hand it in when registering the day of your audition. Please place the following materials in a folder:
- Name and Contact Information: Address, Email, Phone; High School (College if a transfer student)
- Dance Training History – include where you studied dance and with whom; what styles you studied; performances; If applicable include significant roles; summer study and awards both in dance and academics.
- Any other information related to your dance experience that you think is relevant.
- Two references, names and addresses only (references may be from an academic teacher, dance teacher or guidance counselor)
CAREER GOAL STATEMENT
- Career Goal Statement – a one-page essay about why you want to major in dance in college, why you are considering UB, and your long term goals in the field of dance.
- 3″ x 5″ or larger photo – head shot
- 3″ x 5″ or larger photo in 1st arabesque
- Photos will not be returned. Photos do not have to be professional portraits, but must be clear and of good quality
- Dance auditions are held in the UB Center for the Arts Dance Studios. Use the Center’s main entrance. Take the central staircase down to the lower level. Turn left. The dance studios are straight ahead on the right.
- A Parking Pass is required if you are going to park on campus. You will receive one with your confirmation letter.
- Registration is from 8:30 – 9:00am for a 9:00am audition.
- Sample Schedule
- 9:00 – 11:00am: Students Audition
- 9:00am: Parent Session (Drama Theatre)
- 11:00 – 11:30am: Parent & Student Town Hall with Dance Program Director, Jeanne Fornarola (Drama Theatre)
- 11:30 A.M. Informal Tour of CFA
- 1:15 P.M. University Tour (if interested, you must register online at buffalo.edu, click on Visit, and then Visit UB Program)
- 7:30 P.M. Departmental Dance Performance (Optional). Call (716) 645-6897 to reserve up to four complimentary tickets in your name