Auditions Dance BA/BFA
All prospective Dance Majors must audition for acceptance into the program. Students must audition on one of the dates below only. There are no individual auditions available.
UPCOMING AUDITION DATES • for students entering UB in fall 2020
@ University at Buffalo, Center for the Arts
Friday, October 18, 2019
Friday, November 15, 2019
Friday, February 7, 2020
Junior Audition Experience:
UB Dance invites high school juniors, who are considering studying dance in college, to participate in the audition process during the Feb. 8th audition for the UB Dance program. Taking part in the audition is a way to gain experience and an understanding of what to expect and help develop the confidence and skills needed for upcoming auditions in your senior year. Students will fully participate in the audition class and are invited to the talk back session immediately following. The audition is February 8th at 9:00am in the Center for the Arts Dance Studios. Space is limited and pre-registration is required.
To register visit our Audition Form for Dance and register under the status “Junior Audition Experience”.
After your registration fee is received, you will receive a confirmation email.
Juniors auditioning should not bring the Performing Arts Portfolio. Please note that this is not an official audition and students will not receive formal feedback or be eligible for acceptance into the program for Fall 2019.
For more information contact: Jeanne Fornarola, Dir. Undergraduate Dance
REGISTER NOW • DANCE AUDITIONS
To register for an audition, you must fill out an Audition Form for Dance and submit your $30 application fee via the Pay Now link. After you submit the on-line form and make the on-line payment, you will be mailed a confirmation of your audition date.
- Be prepared to perform in a class-style audition including ballet, modern and jazz. Tap placement is determined by years of experience.
- No solo piece is required.
- Be prepared with proper dance attire:
- Ladies – solid colored leotard and tights; ballet slippers, jazz shoe
- Gentlemen – Black tights, or jazz pants, ballet slippers, jazz shoes
- Convertible tights suggested for easy transition from ballet to modern
- Fill out a Performing Arts Profile; see details below.
- Cost of the Audition Workshop is $30.00. There is a PAY NOW option on the audition form.
PERFORMING ARTS PROFILE
Prospective dance students must bring a PERFORMING ARTS PROFILE with them to the audition. You will hand it in when registering the day of your audition. Please place the following materials in a folder:
- Name and Contact Information: Address, Email, Phone; High School (College if a transfer student)
- Dance Training History – include where you studied dance and with whom; what styles you studied; performances; If applicable include significant roles; summer study and awards both in dance and academics.
- Any other information related to your dance experience that you think is relevant.
- Two references, names and addresses only (references may be from an academic teacher, dance teacher or guidance counselor)
CAREER GOAL STATEMENT
- Career Goal Statement – a one-page essay about why you want to major in dance in college, why you are considering UB, and your long term goals in the field of dance.
- 3″ x 5″ or larger photo – head shot
- 3″ x 5″ or larger photo in 1st arabesque
- Photos will not be returned. Photos do not have to be professional portraits, but must be clear and of good quality
- Dance auditions are held in the UB Center for the Arts Dance Studios. Use the Center’s main entrance. Take the central staircase down to the lower level. Turn left. The dance studios are straight ahead on the right.
- A Parking Pass is required if you are going to park on campus. You will receive one with your confirmation letter.
- Registration is from 8:30 – 9:00am for a 9:00am audition.
- Sample Schedule
- 9:00 – 11:00am: Students Audition
- 9:00am: Parent Session (Drama Theatre)
- 11:00 – 11:30am: Parent & Student Town Hall with Dance Program Director, Jeanne Fornarola (Drama Theatre)
- 11:30 A.M. Informal Tour of CFA
- 1:15 P.M. University Tour (if interested, you must register online at buffalo.edu, click on Visit, and then Visit UB Program)