Music Theatre Auditions
All prospective Music Theatre Majors must audition for acceptance into the program. Students must audition on one of the dates below only. There are no individual auditions available.
UPCOMING AUDITION DATES • for students entering UB in 2017
@ University at Buffalo Center for the Arts
Friday, October 28, 2016 – 11 am — prospective Freshmen(Fall 2017); Transfer Students (Fall/Spring 2017); Current UB FRESHMEN**
Saturday, December 10, 2016 – 9:30 am – prospective Freshmen (Fall 2017); Transfers (Fall/Spring 2017)
Saturday, February 4, 2017 – 9:30 am – prospective Freshman (Fall 2017); Transfers (Fall 2017)
@ New York City
Saturday, January 28, 2017 – Time TBA – prospective Freshman (Fall 2017); Transfers (Fall 2017)
500 Eighth Avenue (between 35th and 36th)
New York, NY 10018
*Students may audition only ONCE per an audition cycle. If you would like to to re-audition you must wait until the following academic year.
** Friday, October 28, 2016 is the ONLY audition open to CURRENT UB students; only Freshman are eligible to audition
All students must audition to be accepted in the Music Theatre program. If an international or domestic students is unable to attend one of the in-person auditions, they may submit a video audition following the guidelines for the in-person audition including payment of audition fee. Video submissions must be received at least one week prior to the final audition date.
REGISTER NOW MUSIC THEATRE AUDITIONS
To register for an audition, you must fill out an Audition Form for Music Theatre and submit your $30 application fee via the Pay Now link. After you submit the on-line form and make the on-line payment, you will be mailed a confirmation of your audition date.
*Prospective students can audition for the Music Theatre program one time per audition cycle, which includes all audition dates for the upcoming year. Students wishing to re-audition can do so in the following year.
- Be prepared to sing two contrasting songs from the standard Music Theatre repertoire ( No “American Idol” style pop, rock, etc.) Please bring the music for your songs. An accompanist will be provided. Music must be in the candidate’s key. Selections are to be no longer than 32 bars in length.
- Be prepared to attend dance classes. Proper dance attire includes: solid colored tights and leotards or unitards, or tight dance pants; no bare midriff or excessive layers. Bring ballet slippers and jazz shoes.
- Prospective students are asked to present an age-appropriate serious or comedic monologue from a classic or contemporary play. The monologue is to be no longer than one minute. If the monologue is longer, the auditionee may be cut off.
- Performing Arts Profile required; see below for information.
- Cost of the Audition Workshop is $30.00. There is a PAY NOW option on the audition form.
PERFORMING ARTS PROFILE
Prospective MUSIC THEATRE students are required to bring a PERFORMING ARTS PROFILE with them to the audition. This profile should be clearly labeled with the student’s name and should include:
- Resume of production/performance experience
- Training History
- Two reference letters that include the references’ contact information
- Career Goal Statement (one paragraph, 50 words)
- 3″ x 5″ or larger photo – head shot or dance pose
Nathan Matthews, Associate Professor and Director of Music Theatre