MFA Application Requirements
Application Requirements- Dance MFA
Applicants for the MFA must have a baccalaureate degree in dance or equivalent dance experience with a degree in another field and have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0. All applicants must participate in an audition.
Applicants will participate in an on-campus audition including performance of the applicant’s original choreography (3 minutes), technique class in Modern, Ballet, and Improvisation (expertise in all forms is not required), an in-person writing sample, and a faculty interview.
International students may submit a video audition and participate in a phone or internet-facilitated interview. A faculty panel will evaluate application materials. Contact the Graduate Program Assistant for more information on international applications.
- Official transcripts (undergraduate and any completed graduate work);
- Digital work samples of original choreography (no more than 10 minutes);
- 1-page statement of intent;
- 2-3 page sample of academic writing (which can be an essay written expressly for the application or a copy of a previously written academic paper);
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with applicants creative work as a performer, choreographer or student;
- Current CV or resume;
- 8×10 photo in any pose with the face showing clearly.
Teaching Assistantships are available to qualified students with prior teaching experience. Please submit additional materials as listed on the online application (Gradmit). An on-campus teaching audition and interview will be scheduled for select applicants. Priority will be given to those who attend the February 1 & 2 auditions and who submit their completed application by December 1st , 2017.
GRE scores are not required for MFA applicants.
Graduate Transfer Credit
Transfer students may bring in up to 12 credits from a prior graduate program. The graduate head of dance must approve all transfer credit. Students may be required to repeat part or all of a course taken at another institution.