Dance Science & Somatics Educators (DSSE) 2018 Conference
With Special Guest Presenter & Honoree: Kathryn “Kitty” Daniels
August 3-5, 2018 – Dept of Theatre & Dance, University at Buffalo – SUNY
TOPIC: Dance Studio Applications of Anatomy and Somatics
- Are you a dance educator interested in gathering to discuss and explore studio applications of anatomy and somatics?
- Are you interested in an interactive conference designed to share dance teaching perspectives in a collaborative format?
- Are you a student interested in developing teaching skills in dance science and somatics?
- Please add the conference to your summer calendar and consider submitting a proposal.
PROPOSALS ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED
**Deadline for Submissions: Feb 1, 2018 **
Join us for a weekend intensive with renowned dance and movement educator, Kathryn “Kitty” Daniels. Share insights with colleagues on teaching science and somatics for dancers. Activities will include discussion and movement sessions with an emphasis on interaction. The mission of the Dance Science and Somatic Educators is to allow educators to share teaching strategies and educational resources and to allow educators who are integrating dance with science and somatics to meet others who are doing similar work.
Our special presenter and honoree:
Kathryn “Kitty” Daniels will lead an extended portion of the discussion during the conference. Kitty is internationally recognized as a master teacher who specializes in integrating and applying dance science and somatics to dance technique education. As Chair of the Dance Department at Seattle’s Cornish College of the Arts from 1986 to 2015, she developed an innovative and progressive educational program that balanced rigorous professional preparation with student wellness. She began her professional career as a performer with ballet and modern dance companies in Europe and the United States including the Bill Evans Dance Company, Concert Dance Company of Boston and Beth Soll and Dancers. She has taught at colleges and intensive workshops nationally and internationally including the Bill Evans Summer Institutes of Dance and Teachers Intensives, London Contemporary Dance School, California State University Summer Arts Programs, University of Washington, and Boston University. She has presented her research and taught master classes at conferences of the International Association of Dance Medicine and Science, the National Dance Association, the National Dance Education Organization, DanceUSA, National Association of Schools of Dance, Not Just Any Body and Soul and American College Dance Festival Association. Her articles have been published in the Journal of Dance Education, the Journal of Dance Medicine and Science, Dance Teacher, Kinesiology and Medicine for Dance, and Kinesiology for Dance. She currently teaches at Dance Fremont, the University of Washington and in the Seattle Dance for Parkinsons Program.
We ask that all presenters be current or future dance teachers in any of the following areas: dance technique, dance science/anatomy for dance, dance applications of somatics, or injury prevention for dancers. We welcome participants and students who have evolving interests in teaching these topics.
– Prior to May 1, 2018: $115 general, $90 presenters, $45 students & young professionals.
– After May 1, 2018: $150 general, $125 presenters, $80 students & young professionals
If you are unable to attend the conference, the registration fee, less 15% university processing fees, will be refunded by request, if registration is canceled 2 weeks in advance of program start date.
– Friday: welcome reception with light refreshments
– Saturday lunch: box lunch or lunch on your own
– Saturday dinner: $30 payable at restaurant
– Coffee and light refreshments will be available from 8:30-9 on Saturday and Sunday morning.
Program Outline (subject to refinement):
Friday evening (August 3, 2018)
- 5-6 p.m. Registration/Meet & Greet with Light Refreshments/Opening Remarks
- 6-7 p.m. Session with Kitty Daniels
- 7-8 p.m. Opening Night Panel or Dance Performance Event
Saturday (August 4, 2018)
- 8:30 – 9 a.m. Somatic Movement Warmup
- 9 a.m.-11 Session with Kitty Daniels
- 11-12 Discussion
- 12-1:30 p.m. Lunch
- 1:30-5 p.m. Roundtable panels & movement sessions
- 6 p.m. Dinner Gathering
Sunday (August 5, 2018)
- 9 a.m.-12 noon Roundtable panels & movement sessions.
- 12:30-2:30 p.m. Working Lunch & DSSE Business Meeting for the 2018 planning committee. We encourage everyone interested in future DSSE planning to attend.
Please check back for schedule updates and local travel information.
For more information about DSSE please visit: dancescienceandsomatics.com