PhD Application Requirements
Application Requirements – Theatre & Performance PhD
Applicants to the PhD program may submit unofficial, electronic transcripts or equivalent international credentials from accredited undergraduate institutions (official copies may be submitted later). All applicants must have a masters-level degree (MA, MFA, MS, etc.) prior to entrance into the PhD program.
Applicants are required to submit the following for admission to the PhD:
- online application available here (includes all requirements noted below)
- statement of intent (1-2 page statement outlining your professional goals)
- unofficial academic transcript (official transcripts must be submitted upon acceptance.)
- academic writing sample (e.g., scholarly essay or academic paper, performance or book review)
- portfolio of creative activities (you may provide either a URL link or upload documentation directly into the online application)
- Current GRE Scores
- non-refundable application fee
- 3 letters of recommendation: For the recommendation letters, you will submit the contact information for your recommenders, who will be contacted with information to upload their letters of recommendation letters to the Gradmit application system. We suggest that applicants contact their preferred recommenders at least 2 weeks prior to submitting their contact information so that all of the materials are complete by the deadline.
The portfolio of creative activities is designed to showcase the work that you’ve done in and area of production. This can include:
- a detailed professional resume or c.v.
- samples of performance or production experience, such as:
- a design portfolio with production images (no more than 15)
- a performance reel (no more than 5 minutes)
- detailed acting resume
- dramaturgical protocol
- any other documentation of creative or scholarly work related to your career goals in theatre and performance
While we expect applicants to have interest in both research and production, the ideal applicant will not necessarily have equal experience in both areas.